NOTE: This test is ONLY AVAILABLE TO AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS.
The Methionine Metabolism Test (Australia Only)
Methionine is an essential amino acid that has a wide variety of jobs to do in the body and one of the most important of these jobs is in methylation, when you have methylation problems this can lead to serious health problems and disease. Methionine metabolism is therefore a very important indicator for many serious health problems that can lead to homocysteine imbalances, when this happens your body can’t convert important nutrients that keep you healthy such as:
- SAMe (S-Adenosyl Methionine)
- SAH (S-Adenosyl Homocysteine)
- Utilization of vitamin B12
- Utilization of Folate
- Conversion of homocysteine
- To make major protective antioxidants such as glutathione
About The Methionine Metabolism Test
After you purchase the methionine metabolism test, you will receive a simple blood test kit in the mail. The test kit comes with:
- An authorized blood specimen order form that you take to your local accredited pathology for collection of your blood (Find a pathology near you here).
- A blood specimen test kit for the pathology to use to collect your blood sample
- Complete instructions for taking the test for you and the pathology
- Note, pathology will charge approximately $33.00 to take your sample
Test results are sent to one of our professional health practitioners within 7 – 10 business days for evaluation. Our practitioners contact you with the results and recommendations on any findings via email, mail or phone.
What Do We Test For?
The methionine metabolism test looks at a combination of important methionine pathways to see if they are working properly, these include:
- S-Adenosyl Methionine (SAMe)
- S-Adenosyl Homocysteine (SAH)
- SAMe:SAH ratio
- Active vitamin B12
- Serum folate
The Importance Of Methionine Metabolism
Methionine metabolism is vitally important, often methionine metabolism can become imbalanced leading to methylation problems such as under or over methylation which comes with a variety of common health problems. Methionine belongs to a wide range of biochemical reactions, including the production of S-adenosylmethionine (SAM or SAMe), L-cysteine, glutathione, taurine and sulfate.
It is the process where certain nutrients called ‘methyl donors’ are added to specific elements of DNA, our gene markers and proteins that keep them physiologically active. Methylation is a major pathway to focus on in understanding autoimmune and neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis, seizure disorders, dementia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, depression, anxiety and autism spectrum disorders.
Methionine metabolism is involved in DNA production (turning genes on and off). Methaionine is also repsonsible for producing energy, reducing inflammation, synthesising neurotransmitters, homocysteine metabolism, protein methylation, phase 2 liver detoxification and supporting immune function. When methionine metabolism becomes impaired you can expect serious health problems such as:
- Autoimmune disease
- Imbalanced homocysteine
- Liver detoxification problems
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Nutritional imbalances
- Neurological diseases/disorders (Depression, anxiety, seizures, ADD, ADHD)
- Cardiovascular disease
Have any questions about this test? Ask one of our qualified MTHFR health practitioners here.